Examples of past position papers:
- Begin with a brief statement that summarizes your country’s overall standpoint/attitude toward sexual health (conference theme)
- Provide a summary of the history and context of sexual health in your country and a description of your country’s socio-political identity, including details such as:
- Notable events (famines, communicable outbreak, widespread infection, etc.)
- Both political and cultural factors unique to your country that complicate possible solutions such as:
- Conflicts across international borders or civil unrest
- Political or economic allies
- Clashes between the use of modern Western medicine and cultural traditions
- The nature of your country’s domestic and foreign policy – consider if health care is a major priority for your country
- Describe the present situation/state of the conference topic in your country, including details such as
- Information on recent statistics and studies on sexual health as as well as areas where there is a possibility for changes in the delivery of proper health care.
- Level of dependence on foreign aid by state and private actors
- Governmental transparency and accountability
- Presence of moderators, such as watchdog NGOs, the WHO or UN.
- The state of the national health care system and the development of health infrastructure
- Explain past initiatives taken by your country to tackle the issue, including any legislations, resolutions, treaties, amendments, etc. that have been successfully passed.
- Propose possible solutions and steps your country is willing to take in order to eradicate issues facing sexual health, and how these steps will foster long-term international cooperation.
See more research tips under the research tips tab.
NOTE: **For NGOs & Pharmaceutical Representatives**, please consider the following:
NGOs: Visit your NGO’s website often and stay updated on their current missions. Also, your position paper should summarize your history, goals, past & current areas of involvement, and the countries you’re allied with.
Pharmaceuticals: Be sure to know which global health aid and research projects your pharmaceutical company is currently involved in. Your position paper should include a brief history of your company, goals & objectives, current & past involvement in global health matters, and the countries & organizations you’re collaborating with.